Saturday, May 16, 2015

Gustave Melsing - 1826 - Prussia

Gustave Melsing - 1826 - Prussia

Gustave Melsing was a trained accountant, he also learned the confectioners trade in Germany.  They migrated in approx. 1858.

After Gustave Melsing and Elizabeth Schwerin Melsing arrived in America, they came directly to Gold Hill, Nevada where he worked as an accountant in the silver mines.   When the ore ran out and the silver mines closed down, they came with their five children to San Francisco, where he opened a confectionery shop at 3rd & Minna Sts.   It became famous for Melsing's rye bread.

Melsing children

Louisa (Lucy) Melsing
Married - Daniel Barnes Libby (1882)
Issue - Daniel, Jr & Adeline
Mary Melsing
Married - Alfred Huddart
Issue - Emily, Lucy & Alfred
Gustave Melsing
Married - Olive Bradshaw
Issue - Melba
Antoinette Melsing
Elizabeth Melsing
Married - James Gagen
Issue - Edward
Dorothea Melsing (1872)
Married - George Bunker
Issue - Alpharetta (1892) (My Grandmother)
Louis Melsing
Married and divorced
no Issue

3rd & Minna

Over the years, the land where the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts now stands has been home to a wide variety of businesses including: The Manhattan Bakery, Melsing's Bakery, a millinery store, a cabinet maker, a furniture dealer, multiple tailors, a dry goods merchant, the Doscher and Company Grocery, Howard Presbyterian Church, Mission Street Hotel, many laundries, the Ixora Dancing Hall, an undertaker, a candy shop, a tin shop, a coal yard, St. Patrick's School, Thomas Day and Co. Gas Fixtures, a pork shop, many restaurants, a stable, a wire and iron works factory, a drugstore, the Peerless Movie Theater, the West Hotel, a machine shop, a lithography shop, St. Patrick's Shelter Annex with reading room, St. Vincent du Paul Center for Servicemen, an engraving shop, and a number of pawn shops.

Secondary notes .....
Gustav Melsing was married on March 23, 1856 to Elizabeth Schwerin. 
In 1872 was employed as a baker [Columbia Bakery] at 1129 Dupont st., San Francisco [now Grant ave]
In 1878 he was living at 727 Broadway and in 1879 was living at 2126 Howard.
Gustav then listed himself as a confectioner dealing in fancy baked goods
Daughters Louisa and Maria were living with their parents at this time.
In 1880 the bakery was located at 120 3rd. st. and the family was living at 205 Minna.
The bakery was owned by August Schwerin was deeded to Gustav in late 1881. August and Elizabeth Schwerin [Gustav's wife] were brother and sister. 
In 1883 Gustav`s son Peter Henry was employed at the bakery. The son was commonly known as Harry.
In or about 1884 Gustav expired. His wife Elizabeth was running the bakery in 1885. Two other sons Gustav A [gus jr.] and Louis were also working at the bakery until 1896.
After that Gustav A was a brakeman on the cable cars. 1888 and 89 was a watchman and 1900 was a bookkeeper. son Louis was a collector for a law and collection agency. 

Related Posts with Thumbnails